Use the following instructions to set up the iPhone Mail tool to access GMail with IMAP
1. Enable IMAP in your Gmail settings.
2. Tap Mail.
3. Tap Add Account.
4. Tap Other. (Note: DO NOT Choose the GMail icon as this will configure your connection for POP access, not IMAP)
5. Tap Add Mail Account.
6. Enter your account information, being sure to use your full RISD Gmail address.
8. Enter Incoming Mail Server
Host Name: imap.gmail.com
9. Tap Save.
10. Enter Outgoing Mail Server Information
Host Name: smtp.gmail.com
User name: email@example.com
You can verify your Advanced settings by tapping Settings > [your RISD Gmail IMAP Account] > Advanced.
Use SSL: ON
Server Port: 993
Use SSL: ON
Server Port: 587
Now configure your iPhone mail application to handle mail properly:
From your mail account's Advanced Settings:
• Deleted Mailbox > On My iPhone > Trash
• Deleted Messages > Remove > Never
With these settings, messages deleted from the web interface will show up only under your [Gmail]/Trash folder. In addition, messages trashed from the iPhone will show up under your iPhone Trash folder and your [Gmail]/All Mail folder.